Sunday, July 19, 2015

Chicago Weekend

Prior to signing a contract for a new assignment, I'm always asking my kids if there are any days that they feel I should have off ( I do ask Kirk too).  That way I can include those days in my contract and  know I will have that time off when it comes due.  So, they obliged and told me to be sure I had Monday, June 22 off along with the weekend.  Guess what I forgot to do?  I was able to get one of the PRN girls to work for me (thank you Brenna) and have a 3 day weekend to Chicago with the kids and grandkids.  So on 6/19 after I got off work, Kirk drove me to Kristy's place in the Cities.  He was sick as a dog with allergies, cough etc and I was just getting over a sinus thing.  We were a mess. I was on the mend though, and wanted to do the weekend with the kids.   Kristy, Robyn, Ady, and I left early the next morning for our road trip to Chicago where we would meet Ben, Nicki, Bella, and Isaac.  We stayed at the Marriott Hotel downtown within walking distance from most of the places we wanted to go.
 Legoland!
 Grandkids pole climbing (trying); (below) view from our room on the 23rd floor
(below) Ben either sleeping or enjoying Chicago style pizza

We met Ben and his family at Legoland, where they had taken Bella and Isaac.  We happened to get there as they were finishing up.  We picked up a few things before going to the hotel.  For dinner that evening we ate awesome Chicago style pizza at Lou Malnati's.  That was an interesting taxi ride.  It was a rainy night, but not too bad.  We had an almost 2 hour wait and still had to sit at 2 separate tables.  The food was well worth it though.
 Isaac, Ady, and Bella looking out at Chicago from our hotel.
 (above) Isaac in his element; (below) Ben and Bella hard at work putting nails in blocks.
 (below) Nick helping Isaac use a tool
 (below) Kristy and Isaac getting ready to drive the fire truck
 (below) Mexican food at Navy Pier.  Pitch of margaritas about gone :(

 (above) Ady and me on the ferris wheel. (below) Ben, Bella, Kristy, Isaac, and Nicki on ferris wheel car below ours.

 (above) Robyn and Ady on ferris wheel; (below) Bella's laugh is priceless

 (above)  right upper corner Ben and Ady on the ride that made Ben decide he was done with rides for the day.
 Isaac finally got his trolly ride.  Bella enjoyed it too.
(below) fun at the hotel.

The next day Ben went for a massage (his Father's Day gift from Nicki) while we walked to Navy Pier.  We were told by Kristy that it was only a few blocks.  Well, her few blocks turned out to be a good mile or so.  After getting turned around several times, we finally made it to the Children's Museum exhausted.  All the kids had a great time though.  I think the adults did also.  After eating a Mexican meal along with a pitcher of Margaritas :) we ventured over to the amusement park side of Navy Pier.  I went on the ginormous ferris wheel with everyone, but that was all for me.  I watched the kids go on their rides, and Ben and Ady take a more adult ride that goes around in circles.  Ben had vertigo for awhile afterwards.  Robyn and I took the kids back to the hotel while Kristy, Ben, and Nicki attended the Damien Rice concert.  I was told they took the Pedicab back from the concert to the hotel, not knowing the short 2 block ride would cost them $50.  It's all about the experience, right?
We all left for home on Monday later than we wanted as there was a nasty storm that we had to wait out.  Our drive home was great.  Mean while at home, Kirk was not getting any better, and finally went to the CVS walk in clinic.  They gave him antibiotics, inhaler, and cough syrup.  He got a little better, but not much.  More about that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment