Sunday, May 11, 2014

Midland Texas

Not sure if many of you have ever been to Midland, TX, or why you would want to, but this was my next assignment following our wonderful vacation.  Now, I have learned to look at places we have traveled as NOT bad, just different.  This place was definitely different.  We had a terrible time finding a place to stay.  Let me give you a little history.  Midland is the fastest growing city in the nation at this time.  The reason being because of the oil boom!  Everybody and their brother, mother, sister, father, uncle, aunt, cousin, friend, etc is there working.  Housing is limited, and even if you do find a house, apt, etc.  you will be paying 10X what it is worth, because they (the landlords, etc) know they can get it.  That being said, many people travel there in their campers, motorhomes, 5th wheels, trailers (with sometimes many people in one camper) just to work there.  We found a place in Stanton, TX (about 20 minutes East of Midland) called Permian Basin Golf and RV Resort.  Now I know I've warned you never go by the pictures you see on the campground websites.  Most are not ANYTHING like it is when you get there.  Well, this couldn't be more true of this place.  They boasted a 9 hole free golf if you stayed with them, restaurant, pool, etc.  I thought I was going to be sick when we arrived.  All the sites are caliche.  In other words, pretty much hard red dirt.  There used to be a golf course, years ago, but to be fair, the holes were still there, so I guess you could at least practice your golf swing.  The restaurant was now the owners home, so no food.  There was a place where a pool used to be, but was no longer in use.  AND, I love dogs, have 2 of my own, but they allowed their many dogs to run around the campground and do their business in whoever's site they wanted.  Dang, it sounds like I'm complaining, but really, I'm just giving you the facts.  I would have been embarrassed for any of my friends and/or family to visit us there.  After one week of hell, we went for a drive and came upon a small campground, call AMC RV campground near Gardendale, TX.  Now, because of the oil boom, many people with any amount of land have turned that land into a campground.  You will see makeshift campgrounds everywhere you go.  That's exactly what this guy did at AMC.  Nicest guy you ever met.  Clause was great.  He had just had a site open (God was looking out for us that day).  We moved there immediately and stayed for the rest of my assignment.  My job started October 25, 2013 at Midland Memorial Hospital.  This was one of the best places I have ever worked.  Absolutely wonderful people to work with.  A little bit of trivia, this was the hospital where baby Jessica was taken when they fetched her from the well in 1987 (anyone remember that?).  Anyway, this part of west Texas is very dry, dirty, windy, and you can see oil wells drilling 24/7.  There is also fracking going on 24/7.  I will add this though, and this is what helped keep me sane (besides my husband, and awesome co-workers) Midland has the most beautiful sunrises and sunsets.  The week before Thanksgiving we had a terrible ice storm.  Believe me when I say, these are not fun in a motorhome. My last day at Midland was 12/4/13.  I accepted a job in Ft Myers, FL. 
 This dirt you see is called Caliche at our beautiful Golf and RV resort (UGH)
 This pic doesn't do justice to the beautiful sunrise...notice the oil well in the background burning off the natural gases.  This is a common site.
                                     
Tree outside our RV during the ice storm

No comments:

Post a Comment