Sunday, May 11, 2014

Beverly Hills, Florida December 2013 to March 2013

So many things occurred during this assignment.  This is one neat area in Florida.  My job was in Hernando at Woodland Terrace Nursing Home.  I started the week of Christmas, 12/23.  We stayed at Sandy Oaks RV park in Beverly Hills, FL, just 15 minutes from my work.  I worked with some awesome therapists, nurses, and CNA's at this facility.  My go to gal was Lissette, the rehab aide.  She was absolutely wonderful.  I love her.  All that being said, I believe I was there about 7 weeks.  I was the one this time giving my 2 weeks notice.  Not because of the people, but because of the company, just not ethical.  Enough of that.  We really loved the area and did many, many things for the short time we were there.  We met a great couple, Frank and Sharon from Tennessee.  They stayed at our park till end of March.  So, where do I start:
On Christmas Day, Kirk and I drove to the bay in Crystal River, then over Kings Bay to see the manatees. We had to back to the park early as we had signed up to eat Christmas dinner with the park people in the Club house.  They provided the meat, potatoes and gravy, dressing, and drinks.  Everyone else had signed up to bring a dish to pass.  We enjoyed a great meal with our new friends, Frank and Sharon.  I have to also mention that this year, my side of the family decided we would do homemade Christmas gifts.  At the time, it sounded simple, and fun.  It was fun, but not so simple.  Since I had learned to crochet a million years ago, and had made probably 2 afghans at that time, and had not crocheted since,  I thought I could crochet.  Well, after many mistakes and unravelings, I did manage to get through it, and in the process, actually learned how to crochet.  Still learning.
On 12/28 Kirk traded in his little blue 250 scooter for a 600 Honda Shadow motorcycle.  We have had some fun rides on it so far.
On 12/31 we celebrated NYE at the park clubhouse with Frank and Sharon.  They are such  a fun couple.  I do hope we are able to keep in touch with them.
On 1/3/14 Got word from Ben and Nicki that they thought Isaac broke his arm (fighting to put his coat on).  Fortunately, it was not broken, but badly something, and I don't recall just what.
On 1/4/14  we drove to Homosassa with Frank and Sharon to eat at a restaurant on the bay and view Monkey Island.  Now this is an interesting story.  Long story short, the monkeys on the island used to be from a research lab. For some reason the lab was shut down, and now the monkeys reside on this fun little island.  No one except for the caretakers are allowed on the island.  I hear the monkeys can be mean if they want to, and could hurt you.    The next day, Kirk and I rode the motorcycle to Cedar Key, FL.  Very nice ride, even though we took the long way ( someone took a wrong turn) and almost ran out of gas.  We had a great lunch there and walked around.  Very small place.  You could see Asina Odie Island  which used to be the original Cedar Key Island.
The next week, 1/11  Kirk and I drove down to Tarpon Springs, FL to visit the sponge docks.  This is a neat area.  My brother Rudy and his wife, Bev had told us about this place a few years ago.  I'm so glad we went.  This is a Greek community, so lots of delicious greek food.  The docks are close to their places of business.  One of the Greek store owners was kind enough to explain the process of making sponges, and the difference between the many kinds of sponges.  Who knew!  I thought all sponges were alike, but not anymore.  Kirk and I bought a couple of sponges, one for washing the RV and vehicles, and one for the shower.  I also bought some organic shea butter which i used in my homemade lotion.   Per our Greek store owners recommendation we ate gyros at Platka's.  Were told these were the best in Tarpon Springs.   After leaving Tarpon, we drove on down to Clearwater and took a walk on the beach.  It was 80' in the middle of January.  NICE!.  Oh yeah, today was also our granddaughter, Isabella's  4th birthday.
The next weekend 1/18 we drove down to Tampa with Frank and Sharon to the big RV show.  Saw a lot of new ideas that we might use in the future, but were good and did not buy anything.  After returning home, Kirk and I drove to Crystal River and ate at Crackers.
Kirk and I celebrated his birthday on 1/23 by eating at Stompknockers restaurant in Beverly Hills.  Since it was his birthday, he got a complimentary piece of Key Lime Pie.  By the way, did I mention that Kirk turned the BIG 60!!!  I'm officially married to an old man.
We had been doing something every weekend, and the next weekend was no exception.  We went kayaking  with Frank and Sharon, her sister and brother in law, Carol and Jim, and Mike from the campground on the Weeki Wachee River.  This river is absolutely beautiful.   It is crystal clear, sand bottom, and you can see every marine creature there is.  We were able to kayak next to the manatees, so much fun.  When we returned home, we watch the Super Bowl Game outside.  Seattle and Denver.  Seattle won.
I saw something on my way home from work one day that kinda freaked me out.  I thought it was an haboob, only to find out it was seafog coming in from the gulf.  I had never seen or heard of this, and it was quite weird, yet interesting.
I will keep this short.  We found, and ate at a Chuy's in Gainsville, Florida.  We also found out, but did not attempt, about the Chuy's burrito challenge.  You eat 2 burrito's you get the third one free ( at a time of your choice).  I forbade Kirk to even think about it.  It would surely have made him sick, and I did not want to deal with that.
Homosassa has a Wildlife State Park.  This was very fun and interesting.  The only non-native floridian creature in the park was a hippo.  Lu, the hippo was a former animal actor whose owner wintered him and other exotic animals in Homosassa in the 1960's.  Lu was retired and the Park purchased him.  However, the park decided to feature only animals native to Florida.  The people protested, and soon after, Lu was given an certificate as a citizen of Florida, allowing him to remain at the Park.
On 2/22 we attended the Cracker fest with Frank and Sharon at Rainbow Springs Park.  Have also heard that Rainbow Springs is another great place to kayak.
Kirk and I drove to Homosassa on another evening to eat at The Freezer.  Now this is a hole in the wall (one of the reasons we wanted to go) and is on the bay.  Boats, canoes, whatever, pull up in the bay just to eat here.  We had the best steamed shrimp we have ever had, all 2 lbs of it.  We were also told to get the smoked mullett dip, and are so glad we did.  Highly recommend this place.
Frank and Sharon talked us into going for a bike ride on the trail to Hernando.  Ten miles round trip.  So we packed a lunch and took off.  The other 3 did great, as they are regular bicycle riders.  I got my butt kicked. But, I made it, and would probably do it again.  Saw some interesting things along the way.
My last day at work in Hernando was March 4th.
On March 5 I had my first cataract surgery (left eye) at Ocala Eye Center.  Dr Ahmed did a great job. I had never known what it was like to see without glasses.  This eye is now 20/15 for distance.  I did have to give up my close vision and need to wear readers, but it was a good sacrifice.
Kirk and I left that Friday (after my surgery) for my next assignment in Lakeland.

                                      
 Flamingos at Homosassa Wildlife State Park
 Lu, the hippo at Wildlife State Park
 Tandem kayaking in the Weeki Wachee River 
 Monkey Island in Homosassa 
Kirk, Reina, Sharon, and Frank 
 Bringing in the New Year at Sandy Oaks RV Park in Beverly Hills
 Kayaking with the manatees in the Weeki Wachee River

 Kirks new toy!
 Driving through Floral City, FL on way to Beverly Hills
 Our site at Sandy Oaks
 Found us one in Gainsville
 Two pounds of heaven at the Freezer.  An ice cold Corona went great with this.
Isaac and mommy....so glad it wasn't broke.

No comments:

Post a Comment